Saturday, March 26, 2016

DIY Shiplap

If you're a fan of "Fixer Upper", you know what shiplap is. I love that show, Chip and Joanna,  and shiplap.  If I lived in Waco I'm pretty sure Joanna and I would be friends!.... We built our home in 2000 so the only way I could get shiplap was to create my own. I asked Janna from www.yellowprairieinteriors.com to come out to my home for a little design help and asked how I could get a shiplap wall in my studio that I'm creating. I had two choices. I could buy tongue and groove shiplap, or make my own out of plywood. Since my handy hubby was up for the task, I went with the latter. I was going for a more rustic look and thought it would be better achieved with plywood. 

After measuring to see how many sheets of plywood we would need, we headed to Home Depot. They had plywood that was smooth on both sides, but I picked a 1/4" plywood that had knots and cracks on one side. Once home we cut the plywood into 6" planks. 


The next step was to cut each plank into 8', 6', 4' and 2' lengths to work into an alternating pattern. 

I wanted the knotty side out to give the wall more character.


For the spacing between each board we simply used a quarter!


Here's the shiplap wall before I painted it...


...and after. I used Behr paint in Snowy Pine.




I absolutely love how it turned out! I don't think I would have achieved this authentic look with the tongue and groove. 

Ok, now I need to show you my chandelier! My beautiful friend Jenni Bodnar moved back home to Alki Beach in West Seattle and bought a gorgeous condo right on the water. This chandelier was in the dining room and didn't work with the contemporary look she was going for, but guess where it does work! My studio! Thank you Jenni!!! I love it and will think of you every time I go into my studio. Look how great the shiplap wall looks in the background! <3


More on my studio to come! I can't wait until it's finished!





No comments:

Post a Comment